TourismOhio invested in multicultural marketing to raise Ohio’s profile as a premier travel destination. Along these lines, in fiscal year 2009, TourismOhio expanded its reach by targeting African and Hispanic American populations in Ohio and the contiguous states of Pennsylvania, Michigan, Kentucky and Indiana. It also broadened its modes of communication by adding radio, television and online marketing. S&P, in partnership with TourismOhio, established the following objectives early in the planning phase of the multicultural marketing campaign to meet the goal of raising Ohio’s profile:
- Educate multicultural populations in the target states about the vast number of multicultural attractions in Ohio
- Up-sell the extended stay concept for tourists traveling in and to Ohio
- Enhance and increase industry partnerships
- Establish new and non-traditional relationships
Singleton & Partners determined through analytic research that this campaign needed to connect with the multicultural consumer who values quick, value-added weekend getaways. By developing the “Livin’ for the Weekend” slogan, S&P was able to attract its target audience and permeate the market with tourism messages.
The marketing team at S&P designed a campaign that was in alignment with the general market campaign, increased African and Hispanic American residents’ (both in-state and in other target states) awareness of Ohio’s cultural offerings, supported the development of new partnerships and packages for multicultural tourism and created brand consistency throughout the multicultural campaign using various media vehicles.
The “Livin’ For the Weekend in Ohio” promotional tour provided a grassroots opportunity to personally connect with multicultural audiences in Ohio and its contiguous states. Singleton & Partners created ongoing possibilities for industry partners to align their message with the multicultural campaign, which adds value to their individual market initiatives.
S&P conducted the following activities in the development of the multicultural marketing campaign:
1) Developed a creative theme that could be promoted through radio, print, television and electronic ads in Ohio and the targeted states
2) Created and placed radio ads using celebrities with connections to Ohio
3) Developed creative collateral & promotional materials depicting authentic Ohio attractions (theme parks, sporting events, shopping, fine dining, etc.) that emphasized the creative theme
4) Produced promotional videos
Singleton & Partners combined marketing efforts that generated exceptional results for TourismOhio. We printed and distributed over two million copies of Ohio’s Official Multicultural Event Guides and other collateral pieces. Additionally, we generated over $400,000 in earned media and have participated in over 100 promotional events in and outside the state. These efforts have increased Ohio tourism awareness in the multicultural market.
Brand strategy and positioning
Brand identity development
Brand identity design
Advertising creative direction